While this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Missing e, for anyone with these problems, here’s how to deal with it!
Why isn’t Tumblr doing anything about this?
Please note that this attack has absolutely nothing to do with the Missing e browser extension!
A while back there was a serious problem with a lot of blogs posting fake “staff” posts about Starbucks coupons or other spam-related things. That problem is still going on.
~ Why is this a problem? ~
This is pretty bad, considering many people on Tumblr are not exceeding tech-savvy. I mean, the thing looks legitimate. I wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few people have just given their passwords away because of this thing. Then, their blog theme is itself changed to continue propagating this phishing attack.
To be clear, you should never enter your password into any page that is not a secure Tumblr page. Here’s a staff post on how to recognize a secure page.
~ What should Tumblr be doing? ~
The script actually loads from a server in China (IP: 220.127.116.11), but beyond that I can’t really work out anything about who is behind it.
The real question I have is why Tumblr hasn’t done anything about this. Other than posting helpful information on recognizing secure Tumblr pages, they don’t seem to be doing very much! I would expect that it would be possible for Tumblr to prevent this script from actually running on themed blog pages, considering it can be traced directly to a malicious server.
I’m thinking about adding something into Missing e to get rid of these fake login boxes, but that doesn’t solve the problem by a long shot!
~ What to do if your account is a victim ~
If your blog is posting spam or your themed blog shows the fake login screen, you can fix it!
- First things first, change your password! When you do so, make sure the page you are on is a secure Tumblr page (how to recognize one)
- Second, if your blog has the fake login screen, you need to reset your blog’s theme!
- If that isn’t possible, you can go in and remove the offending code. It is a couple of lines near the bottom of your theme code that start and end with
<script>tags and has a bunch of code with seemingly random numbers and letters
1165 Notes/ Hide
- hipsterpirates likes this
- thenothinglife likes this
- oxbonkus reblogged this from anatsuno
- mr-gsptlsnz likes this
- fycawaii likes this
- ghostcali reblogged this from spliffy-
- walkonbarefootforme likes this
- thecardinaldin likes this
- thebadcat reblogged this from thegeekmaster
- gikochikunthebastardsonofurkel likes this
- thegeekmaster reblogged this from reality-breaker
- sensibly-young likes this
- theeviltrumpeter reblogged this from reality-breaker
- padapiomenos reblogged this from reality-breaker
- reality-breaker reblogged this from spliffy-
- suspendedmind reblogged this from shamelesswhore
- shamelesswhore reblogged this from spliffy-
- spliffy- reblogged this from cutlerish
- jackingymboy reblogged this from kente
- scooterlvr likes this
- -lunasa- likes this
- baconrice reblogged this from ohshesvain
- ohshesvain reblogged this from uncrazes
- uncrazes reblogged this from ms-pufferfish
- fuckyeahsouthernbelles likes this
- yeahicanfly reblogged this from codexofcorruption
- crossmyheartxkissmyelbow likes this
- delrey-1d-sheeran likes this
- magicalnaturetour likes this
- amizzled reblogged this from cutlerish
- codexofcorruption reblogged this from cutlerish and added:
- melimelo85 answered: ????? what is this
- sorion reblogged this from motifsky
- tellyousomeday reblogged this from cutlerish
- ke7in reblogged this from do-not-open-til-christmas
- greenmage reblogged this from 7583310-eeeewwww
- marvous reblogged this from motifsky
- motifsky reblogged this from morbidfashion
- yyoursmileissarifle likes this
- paulsimonon reblogged this from deucecourtesans
- enoughformetolove reblogged this from lifewasted
- deucecourtesans reblogged this from lifewasted
- deucecourtesans likes this
- shelephant reblogged this from sophiedeveraux and added:
- kente reblogged this from sanderspig
- theportraitofdoriancharcoal reblogged this from jakesmonstersnake
- 7583310-eeeewwww reblogged this from jakesmonstersnake
- jakesmonstersnake reblogged this from cubnc
- cubnc reblogged this from bobsroadhouse